City in the clouds

City in the clouds

28 April 2011

World as we (don't) know it

Have you ever felt cheated of reality? Have you ever... or actually... have you never... had that moment. Yes, exactly THAT moment which should have been yours, but somewhere, somehow, something went wrong and your story begun to unfold differently in an unknown parallel universe?

Do not get me wrong, I do not believe in destiny. I have never believed, not even for a shortest moment, that there is a path designed for me or for you to follow without questions. The idea of that is preposterous. However, we predetermine our reality by decisions, those taken as well as those never thought of. Whether we are brave enough to admit it or not, we march on through the ‘settings’ of our choice, the way WE decided to. Nevertheless, I do think certain events happen for a purpose. Events we cannot influence or change. They happen often without rationally explicable reasons either to present us with new sets of options or to make us act, move forward... to challenge us, to give us the possibility of venturing where we really desire going. They happen, they cross our everyday life without warning or permission, without agenda. Simply put, we are helpless, we cannot prevent it. What is ours is the reaction.

How do you react?

What do you do?

We live in a universe. A universe where everything is part of a cycle, where everything is connected, where one thing influences the other which changes another which transforms the next... An assumption that we have our own particular little destiny worked out for us before we even become part of the cycle is rather egoistic and very, very improbable. What I like to classify as a form of ‘destiny’ are precisely the ‘random’ events. I dare to suppose they do not happen to us, they happen to the world.

Not mine, not yours, not ours...

So...what do you do?

***
 
I wrote those few lines some time ago and now I am not quite sure what exactly my point was. I guess it was that sudden strong presence of parallel reality which could have been if...

Please, do not slip into assumption I was resorting in ‘what if’ waters of regrets. Following my No Regrets policy is neither easy nor always possible. (Mainly because it requires taking crazy actions and making beautifly foolish decisions that one might regret later... although I prefer that kind of regret than the one of not doing anything at all.) Nevertheless, it is necessary to reflect at all times, to never stop asking... which one of the possible actions/reactions would I regret the most later on and, most importantly, whether I am able to take full responsibility for all the outcomes of chosen action... the best as well as the worst.

Not an easy choice.

People often tell me I lack sense of self-preservation. Well, I would not agree on that. I think this is a purely conflict of terminology and its definition which in case of the word ‘self-preservation’ might slightly differ from my perspective. However, taking the word in its basic sense as the preservation of oneself from danger, harm or injury, I see their point. It comes down to what you actually consider dangerous or harmful to yourself. As far as I am concerned I act perfectly in accordance with this primary human sense. I do not want to be preserved. I am not a mummy. I want to be shuttered to pieces... damaged, repaired... taken apart and reassembled... whatever... a good way of separating rubbish from things with solid potential. No, thanks, I do not want to be preserved...

But I went completely of the track... again...

So, where were we?

Parallel reality... right...

I think I know now how to explain myself.

Being at the right place at the right time! Have you ever experienced the feeling? Now, imagine feeling you are at the right place at the right time... under completely wrong, wrong circumstances. Everything around feels so amazingly right, yet there is the chivvying sense of wrongness in the air and that once possible reality is locked in another dimension unable to exist, yet refusing to be forgotten.

I have never felt like that before ant it is unbelievably annoying. Nonetheless, it makes me wonder... What happens to all those possibilities once we refuse to pursue them? Do they continue to unfold in parallel universe? But then... if new realities are created at every single crossroad... with milliards of people around the world it would be a pretty good mess. Plus, if there were realities with all the other possible outcomes of our actions than what would be the point of making a decision for if there are parallel realities, I do not think any one of them would be any more real than the others. EVERYTHING would happen anyway.

No... I do not think that would work.

However, if this particular piece of my story is still haunting me in this rather peculiar manner, maybe that crossroad is bound to come around again... maybe in disguise or in a way I would never expect but still...

Although I am not so sure I want that.

Or do I?

No comments: