City in the clouds

City in the clouds

25 April 2011

Whip it!

            Every time I venture abroad and Easter holidays come around, the discussion about related traditions comes along with it. Normally, that would not be an issue... but since I realized that the most simplified version of Slovak Easter traditions is: The girls are waiting at home. The boys come, beat them with wooden branches and throw ice cold water on them. ... I think tiwce before I say anything :) ..  

The first time I let those few sentences leave my mouth without really thinking it over and saw those puzzled expressions around me, I myself realized that domestic-violence-involving traditions are a little screwed up... of course, I have never thought of it that way. How could I? There is a perfect explanation for all of it! Nevertheless, since that moment on, I refuse to talk about concerned topic until I am fairly advanced in the language and my explanation sounds little more meaningful and acceptable.
So, please, do not run away and just let me explain!
As far as I am informed, in western world, Easter is all about chocolate eggs hunt and Easter bunnies. No offence but in Slovakia this is MUCH more FUN! Trust me... ;)
Let’s start at the very beginning. Majority of Slovak population is catholic so the religious aspect of this time of the year is clearly significant. The holiday usually falls on March or April and celebrates the resurrection of Jesus Christ. I do not think many of you know this, but the date of Easter depends on phases of the Moon. Thus, what we know as an ‘Easter Sunday’ is always the first Sunday after first full moon of spring- after March 21st. The reason for this is rather clear, I guess, taking into account phases of the moon are constant, therefore more reliable than any calendar.


The list of traditional symbols connected with this period does not end with chocolate eggs, although I have to admit they are really tasty and play a significant role in all this. In many cultures the egg embodied promising source of life. It was a symbol of fertility and life which were naturally associated with arrival of spring. Thus, despite the fact that Catholic faith explains ‘egg’ as a metaphor for closed Jesus’ tomb and his resurrection (at least that’s what I read... somewhere), I am a little reluctant to believe colouring eggs was formerly a catholic tradition. It makes much more sense to me as one of the heathenish traditions that was kept and accustomed to catholic faith.

However, in Slovakia we don’t only dye eggs with one colour... Neatly, we get rid of the inside by piercing two tiny holes on both ends and blowing it out... this is extremely difficult since the holes must be as little as possible and you have to be careful not to crush them. Then, they may be decorated with coloured wax or some other pretty interesting techniques. When I was little I was fascinated by them! (I was also fascinated by chocolate eggs, but that is another story... ‘casue those were never meant for girls... Here, Easter is sort of unfair in regards to the genders)
Among other symbols, there are fire, candle and cross... all of them enjoying religious meaning of their own but I want to get to the fun part more quickly so if you are interested in more details... just google it!

The most consequential symbol is a whip... a whip made from willow branches, made by boys, hated by girls (which you can see on the picture).

Most awaited day of Easter is... Easter Monday.

The day of feast!

The day I feared since I was a little kid... only because (by force of nature) I happened to be a girl.

A role of a girl on Easter Monday is very simple. We are supposed to wait at home, with supply of eggs and colourful ribbons waiting to be whipped, be poured on with cold, very cold water. The boys would come and the battle would begin! The whipping and water were to keep ‘the young fragile maidens’ healthy and beautiful for the rest of the year. After being soaked and whipped, the girls would tie the ribbons at the end of the whips as a sign of forgivness (that’s what I heard... but I am not really sure about that, as far as I was concerned nothing like that passes without appropriate revenge ;) ) and present ‘the young gentlemen’ with eggs...


In the past, a large group of boys would come from house to house going around the whole village... Nowadays, it’s mostly kept and carried on in family circles and close friend. To be honest, this peculiar tradition is becoming less and less common, especially in the cities.
That makes me sad... but I live in a villige and my sister dances in a folk group... so having all the boys and musicians from the group to come over very Easter, we are sure to have quite a show... a real battle even!

As a tradition it may be a little crazy but it’s fun... How often do you have a reason for all-day-long water battles?
As I said, when I was little, I was really traumatized by this whole event, especially thanks to certain family members, who would come on purpose insanely early, took us half asleep out of beds and threw us in the shower... Well, at least until the day we grew up, learned to wake up early and started to fight back... over the years we developed several strategies. I mean... I don’t mind getting wet but I am not gonna be the only one!

No comments: