City in the clouds

City in the clouds

03 April 2011

Don't Panic!

          The spring has arrived. The sun is shining and my level of vitamin D is sharply increasing parallelly with my good mood- quite obviously. Spring brings everything to life.  Colours...  even dying hopes! Somehow, flooded in sunshine, the world seems more peaceful. Fresh air, like a hallucinogenic drug, spins our head around and makes us step out the door ever-so-lightly.
Though, speaking of obvious, this reminds me of something I once read in a very peculiar but nevertheless quite amusing book, The Hitchhiker’s guide to the Galaxy. One of the characters of not so earthly roots said that humans are rather less intelligent beings who indulge in stating or repeating absolutely obvious facts as, for example, ‘The spring has arrived’. In practice, we were said to waste the vast part of our conversations exchanging random, generally shared and, most of all, unimportant knowledge. Perplexing, insulting but not so far from being true.
Although, we cannot forget, this comes from a book where the Earth was a computer generated project in order to find the question to the most desired answer to our existence. In fact that very computer was built to provide us finally with the ultimate answer to this question, however when he happened to succeed and pronounce the answer which was 42, no one was quite sure what exactly the question was. Thus, the answer became useless. Here is where the Erath comes to play its role as a simple project which was supposed to reveal the question exactly after ten milliard years of existence... Therefore, the Earth was constructed and designed by the best architects in the Universe. However, human species, no matter how crucial the project was, were broadly considered a really bad joke. To conclude, the experiment failed. The Earth was destroyed one day before giving the answer... the question, I meant.
What I wanted to get across is that no matter what this book says about endless stupidity of human race, none of it can be taken personally since this little creation is a preposterous parody ironically produced by human mind. I always had rather ambiguous relationship towards it. I never knew whether I liked it or not mainly because even though humans were supposed to be stupid the rest of the universe seemed even more so... And, inevitably, you ended up asking yourself what is the purpose of it all then? Thus, if you got pass the awkward sci-fi story disguise, it was almost philosophical in its absurdity. When I read it, I felt like that book is mocking me for even reading it. In a very twisted way it makes the readers ask themselves the question.
However it may be I did not remember the part about uninspiring human conversations by accident. I remembered it because it made me angry or, at least, I found difficult to accept that stating certain obvious facts was stupid.  I am not saying all the conversations we engage in are smart and intelligent  but stating facts is necessary mainly because not so many of them are obvious. We are not stupid, we are different therefore everything including us is subjected to relativity. We are not machines built to serve a mechanical purpose with in a convenient package with free technical user guide. We talk, discuss, repeat, ask, question, ponder, wonder, scream, whisper, state, claim, deny, demand, offer, give, accept, think, rethink, act, feel, fear, hope, loose, win, reason, enjoy, create, recreate, destroy, repeat, tell, retell, discuss, state, repeat, sing, pray, awe, imagine, contemplate, consider, recall, cry, anticipate, believe, speculate and rethink and repeat... repeat...  repeat...
Yes, we certainly do and yet it’s all but stupid. That is exactly what is so excellent about it... we repeat, we learn. Not all we do is useful, not all we do is good.  But we learn... and my naive little mind believes that one day the only obvious things we will repeat will be current weather conditions. Spring brings sunlight and sunlight... Well, sunlight tickles your mind and lures you into the wild of optimism.  
I know, I know... weather is one of the really obvious topics and it would be advisable to avoid mentioning it too much (and I am referring to myself right now) but I cannot control it. Unfortunately, like in the case of a romantic hero, the nature corresponds with my, ehm... tempestuous moods. So, mentioning weather now and then (or simply said: sickly often) is just part of the deal. :)

She lazily stretched on the grass and exposed her face to the rising sun.

‘Spring has arrived...’ she whispered quietly, letting the words linger as if she wished the moment never ceased to be true.

No comments: